The hockey sticks are a key and integral part of any hockey player’s equipment. Since the market offers a wide selection and variety to choose from, it is best if you are informed of the key factors to consider before purchasing one. Some variations in the hockey stick depend on an individual’s weight and height, while other options that are offered are more of a personal nature.
When selecting a hockey stick, you need to be keen on the length of the stick, the material used, and the flex number. It is also recommended to consider the lie and blade curve that is appropriate for you, and if you need some good grip or not.
As such, you can get the hockey stick that matches your playing position as well as your personal style by going for the right options. This guide highlights some of these key factors you should consider when purchasing your personal hockey stick as well as some of the top-rated best hockey sticks brands that are worth trying.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Hockey Sticks in 2020
- Top 10 Best Hockey Sticks Review in 2020
- 1. Arsenal Envy Ice Hockey Stick
- 2. Noa Store Hockey Stick Display Holder
- 3. Mylec Eclipse Jet Flo Stick
- 4. Franklin Sports NHL Unisex Hockey Set
- 5. Franklin Sports NHL SX Comp 1010 Street Tech
- 6. Cosom Junior Hockey Stick by Cramer
- 7. Bauer Senior I300 ABS Blade Stick
- 8. Mylec Ultracurve Air Flo Stick
- 9. Franklin Sports NHL SX Comp 1000 Goalie Stick
- 10. Mylec Junior Goalie Stick Unisex
- Tips in Choosing for the Right Hockey Stick
Comparison of 10 Best Hockey Sticks in 2020
|Arsenal Envy Ice Hockey Stick||
|Noa Store Hockey Stick Display Holder||
|Mylec Eclipse Jet Flo Stick||
|Franklin Sports NHL Unisex Hockey Set||
|Franklin Sports NHL SX Comp 1010||
|Cosom Junior Hockey Stick||
|Bauer Senior I300 Stick||
|Mylec Ultracurve Air Flo Stick||
|Franklin Sports NHL SX Comp 1000||
|Mylec Junior Goalie Stick Unisex||
Top 10 Best Hockey Sticks Review in 2020
1. Arsenal Envy Ice Hockey Stick
Arsenal-Envy Ice Hockey Carbon Fiber Stick by The Hockey Arsenal is a one-piece hockey stick (OPS). This high-quality hockey stick has been designed and crafted for advanced and elite-level ice hockey players with a preference for a high performing, durable, and tough hockey stick.
This composite stick is ideal for Rec-League Hockey, Pick-up games, in-house ice hockey, and even on your nearby back yard rink or frozen pond.
- It features an 85-flex and A92 curve that matches the modern curve patterns which in addition to the 60-inch shaft, gives the players an enhanced kick-point.
- It has ergonomic shooting and stick handling abilities giving you the perfect feel in your hands, thanks to the balanced shaft-to-blade ratio, thus making defensive hockey a new experience.
- The stick is ideal for both indoor and outdoor hockey games.
- It has been designed with the professional player in mind in regard to both durability and performance.
- It may seem quite expensive especially for a beginner since is made of 100% carbon fibre.
- The stick has been designed mostly for professional players, and thus it might not be ideal for beginners.
2. Noa Store Hockey Stick Display Holder
The Hockey Stick Holder for Display by Noa Store is a display bracket for your hockey stick(s) that can be used either at home or in the office. The hanger can hold any type or length of hockey stick in a perfect display. The hockey stick holder kit comes with a pair of hangers and the mounting accessories needed. It is a perfect way to display your best hockey stick.
- The brackets/holders are ideal for both office and home use.
- Every kit features two hangers with mounting anchors and screws, thus giving you flexibility on how you want to display your stick.
- The hangers are easy to install and can be oriented to any angle of choice.
- They are a tad pricey for just holding your hockey stick.
3. Mylec Eclipse Jet Flo Stick
The Jet-Flo Eclipse Hockey Stick by Mylec is a stylish best hockey sticks that have been optimized for field hockey. The stick has a size range of 43 to 53 inches, thus giving an allowance for younger kids and short people to play.
This stick can be used either by right-handed or left-handed players. The stick is made of a wooden shaft and an easily interchangeable plastic blade that is also durable. The stick is priced moderately.
- The stick as an interchangeable blade made of durable plastic, so you do not have to buy an entirely new stick once the blade wears out.
- The plastic blade is also highly durable.
- Kids can play using the stick, thanks to the size range to select from.
- The stick is priced reasonable while being durable and highly practical for field hockey.
- The blade does not offer you the flexibility of playing in multiple environments; it is only optimized for field hockey.
4. Franklin Sports NHL Unisex Hockey Set
The Unisex Team-Soft NHL Sport Hockey Set by Franklin Sports is a hockey sports set featuring a 25-inch hockey stick with a moulded-PE core, a 3-inch puck core with soft-sponge foaming, a soft cast vinyl cover, and a 100% stuffed polyester soft-hockey ball.
The set, which is ideal for both boys and girls from the age of three years has been ideally designed with the beginner in mind, while providing all the features that a hockey stick should have.
- The stick comes branded with the official NHL logo and team colors, thus inspiring your young child to be a part of something big.
- The shaft has been intricately designed to cater to the soft touch of a three-year old.
- You can choose the name of your favourite team to be custom-branded on your stick, thus making your stick unique at no extra cost.
- The set comes with a stuffed polyester ball for soft hockey.
- The construct of the frame is very durable even in multi-use.
- The stick does not feature a range of lengths to choose from for the taller kids.
- It may seem a bit pricey for a beginner’s bat.
5. Franklin Sports NHL SX Comp 1010 Street Tech
Franklin Sports’ 40-Inch Black Right-Handed Black Street Hockey Stick is a sturdily crafted best hockey sticks ideal for the teenage age to adults. The shaft is about 1 meter in length and the blade, made of high-impact polymer material is easily replaceable. The stick is NHL-licensed and is highly durable as well. The blade features an assortment of colors to choose from.
- The multi-ply birch and poplar shaft is very sturdy, adding to the hardy high-impact polymer blade that is easily replaceable. This gives you an assurance of durability.
- There is an assortment of colors to choose from.
- The stick has been optimized for hardy street hockey.
- Does not have a size for younger kids.
- The stick is only suited for right-handed hockey players.
6. Cosom Junior Hockey Stick by Cramer
The stick has been built on a successful history in elementary physical training for both recreational athletes and students. The set of 16 hockey accessories features 12 colored sticks, two pucks and two hockey balls, thus making it ideal for both indoor and outdoor play time.
- Comes is a set of six blue-shaft and six yellow-shaft sticks plus two pucks and two hockey balls enough for setting up two teams of indoor or street hockey.
- The stick is recommended for elementary school training and practice as well as for adult beginners.
- The sticks are high quality and can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Multiple uses include street, roller, and floor hockey.
- The set might be too big for a single player; only ideal for a team set-up.
7. Bauer Senior I300 ABS Blade Stick
The 58-Inch ABS 1300 Seniors Blade Stick by Bauer is the best hockey sticks. That is designed for advanced players featuring a multi-ply lightweight Senior shaft and a high-impact ABS plastic blade that can be used on any kind of surface, whether indoors or outdoors. The ABS plastic blade offers the player high shot velocities as well as superior pluck control.
- The stick has been optimized for any surface, thus ideal for street, field and indoor hockey.
- The high-impact ABS blade is highly durable but causes little impact on smooth surfaces.
- It features a P92 Curve as well as 87-Flex capabilities
- Only ideal for advanced adult players; the shaft is 58 inches long.
- Made for left handed players only.
8. Mylec Ultracurve Air Flo Stick
The stick is ideal for players with a preference of wooden Best hockey sticks. The Air-Flo design technology enhances the player’s performance by offering unmatched flexibility during maneuvers. The stick is ideal for more experienced as well as elite-level adult players.
- The synthetic ABS-plastic blade features flagship stick design technology, Air-Flo, that enhances player performance without a significant increase in pricing.
- The product comes with a performance guarantee.
- The solid wood handle and shaft gives the player a classical feel when playing.
- Ideal for street hockey.
- The stick is only adapted for professional adult players.
9. Franklin Sports NHL SX Comp 1000 Goalie Stick
The NHL-SX 1000 Comp Goalie Stick by Franklin Sports is a well-designed junior and youth hockey stick for hockey goalies ranging from 40 to 48 inches. The stick has been licensed for play by the National Hockey League (NHL) and comes in an assortment of colors for your kid to choose from. The shaft is made of multi-ply birch and poplar while the blade features high-impact polymer.
- The hockey stick features a moulded-fibre pattern blade infused with high-grade polymer for durability.
- The stick has been licensed by the NHL thus making it safe for your kid.
- There is an assortment of colours and patterns that your kid can choose from.
- The range in price is quite high, given that the stick is only for young kids’ hockey
10. Mylec Junior Goalie Stick Unisex
The stick is 42 inches in length, making it ideal for players from 10 years and older. The blade is also easily replaceable by detaching at the wooden shaft.
- The blade is made of synthetic high impact plastic to make the stick more durable.
- The two-piece design using screws to secure the blade into place is easy to replace.
- Ideal for kids from the age of 10.
- The extended toe ensures easy learning for your young hockey player.
- The wooden handle is not very thick to allow for an easy grip by young beginners, which makes it highly prone to breaking.
Tips in Choosing for the Right Hockey Stick
With myriad options available in the market today, shopping for the right hockey stick can prove to be quite a daunting challenge especially in cases where you do not know what you are looking for. However, by considering the following factors, you are assured of selecting just the right hockey stick for you or your loved one.
The Length of the Hockey Stick
The correct length of your hockey stick is paramount in executing your skills in a better manner. Ideally, your hockey stick should measure-up to the top of your hip bone. However, this also depends on personal preference. Normally, sticks measure within the range of 24 inches to 38 inches.
Always select the stick length that you are most comfortable with during play. A somewhat longer stick improves your reach while shorter sticks boost your handling skills.
Hockey sticks are made from a variety of composite materials that have specific properties. Carbon helps in adding stiffness to the stick; the higher the percentage of carbon your stick has, the more powerful your hits are likely to be. However, sticks with a higher carbon percentage tend to be more expensive than conventional sticks. Low carbon sticks, on the other hand, enhance your trapping and control skills.
Aramid material helps in absorbing the vibrations caused by strikes and direct hits, while also boosting stick durability. Wooden best hockey sticks enhance ball control especially when receiving and dribbling; they are also more affordable and recommended for beginners. Fiberglass adds to a stick’s feel, strength, and durability. Fiberglass is less rigid than carbon and also less expensive.
The range of weight for field hockey sticks is approximately between 535g and 685g. The weight is highly dependent of personal preference and position of play. For example, lighter sticks are normally recommended for attacking players since they allow for quicker stick skills and backswings.
Heavier sticks are ideal for defensive players as they help in adding distance and power to the shots which is great for passing and clearing balls.
The bow of a hockey stick is the slight curve that runs from the toe to the handle of the stick. The curve normally ranges from 20mm to 25mm. The choice of bow length is dependent on the player’s age, preference, and level of skill. There are three key types of bows for different applications.
Standard or regular bows are approximately 20mm with the bow’s highest point falling in the middle of the stick, thus recommended for advanced maneuvers. Mega bows are usually about 24.8mm in length with the bow nearer to the toe which helps in providing more power for drag flicking as well as lifting the ball.
This type of bow is perfect for advanced players. Finally, the low bow (approximately 25mm) has the bend closest to the stick head which helps in lifting and controlling the ball, doing drag flicks as well as aerials. This bow works best for elite/pro-level players.
Shape of the Toe
The toe of a hockey stick refers to the curve level and it usually affects how a player handles their stick, including striking the ball. The toes are categorized into short, midi, maxi, and hook, with each increasing in size respectively and are preferential for specific playing positions.
A small toe gives the player more dexterity but limits their power, while the bigger toes (e.g. hooks) provide a bigger striking and receiving surface area but impacts on the player’s movements.
Budget and Brand
The brand of choice is primarily a personal preference, although some brands have a lot of experience in making pro and beginner best hockey sticks. Also, some brands may be associated with higher pricing, thus tying your budget and the brand of choice together.
Ideally, carbon hockey sticks will be more expensive than other materials. It is recommended to try the best fit according to your style of play, height, and position.
In conclusion, shopping for an appropriate hockey stick that suits your style of play, playing position, height, among other personal preferences can be made much easier by considering the factors we have discussed above. Also, by considering the reviewed products, you might land yourself a perfect hockey stick whether you are a beginner or an advanced player.
Our recommendation as you shop for the most suitable hockey stick is that before settling for one ideal hockey stick, try out several medium or lowly-priced sticks to gauge their feel and ease of play. This is mostly recommendable for beginners.